BORN OUT OF NEED
In the spring of 1944, the Diocese of Washington, under the leadership of Bishop Angus Dun, realized the need for a church in an area of the District of Columbia known as Hillcrest. On land purchased back in 1937, a portable frame chapel with a seating capacity of 135 was erected and consecrated in August 1944. The Reverend John Parker Coleman from Hartford, Connecticut was appointed Vicar of the new mission, which was named "The Chapel of St. Timothy." The first service was conducted in September 1944, with 211 people present, and on January 9, 1945, the congregation was organized as a mission that was admitted as such at the Diocesan Convention on May 9, 1945.
On October 22, 1950, ground was broken for the construction
of the lower level of a future church building. Construction
began on May 3, 1951, and the new structure was dedicated on
January 20, 1952. The last service was held in the original chapel on
June 6, 1954. Church services, beginning in June 1954, were held
in the new parish hall while plans were in progress to
complete the new building.
A NEW PARISH
In October 1954, ground was broken for the new building and the cornerstone was laid in February 1955. Bishop Angus Dun consecrated the church in April 1956. In May 1956, a request for parish status was submitted to the 61st Diocesan Convention and approved. Reverend Coleman was called by the Vestry to be the first rector, and served until September 1956, marking the twelfth anniversary of the church. In July 1956, the Reverend Arthur H. Underwood from Charlotte, Michigan was called and was installed as the second rector in October 1956 and served until late 1956. The traditions of worship, service, community involvement, outreach and singing were continued and expanded at St. Timothy's during his pastorship.
WORKING AMONG THE COMMUNITY
The Reverend Edward O. Waldron was called from Augusta, Georgia
as third rector in January 1970. He served until 1976. The opening of a
daycare center, a community school of dance, and the ministry to
the aging highlighted the work in 1973.
The Reverend Richard L. Tolliver was called from Boston, Massachusetts
as the fourth rector in 1977, was installed in May 1977 - he served until
1984. The original architectural design for the church complex contained
plans for an upper parish hall and other facilities. Groundbreaking
ceremony for the new facility was held in September 1980, thirty-six
years from the date the first service was held in the Chapel.
Bishop John T. Walker dedicated the new structure in April.
FULL OF LIFE
In March 1986, a call was extended to Reverend Dalton D. Downs,
a former rector of Emmanuel Parish, Cleveland, Ohio - Bishop John T. Walker installed him as the fifth rector in October 1986. Under Canon Downs'
capable leadership, the parish has continued its growth and traditions of
worship, music, service, community involvement and outreach. The congregation of St. Timothy's is very proud of its history and remains committed to the principles upon which it was founded.
Reverend Downs retired on April 30, 2006, after 41 years of service
in the ordained ministry and 20 years of exceptional spiritual
leadership to St. Timothy's Episcopal Church and the
Episcopal Diocese of Washington.
We've Come This Far By Faith
And we know that with faith we have much more to do and to share with our neighbors. During the pandemic years of 2020 through today we have developed our online capabilities and now offer a hybrid worship on Zoom and in-person, which is broadcast live on Facebook. You are invited to be our guest, online or at the building, and join us as we follow Jesus by living in love, walking by faith and serving our community!
CLERGY OF ST. TIMOTHY'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Reverend John P. Coleman
Vicar and 1st Rector
Reverend Canon Dalton D. Downs
Reverend Jeanie Martinez-Jantz
Reverend Edward O. Waldron
Reverend Arthur H. Underwood
Reverend Milton C. Williams Jr.
Reverend Charles C. Amuzie
Reverend Larry Todd Thomas
Reverend Richard L. Tolliver
Reverend Caron A. Gwynn
Priest-in-Charge & Rector
HISTORICAL DATES OF ST. TIMOTHY'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH BUILDING